Tuesday 1 May 2012

Winding Ways


Every summer for the past six years I’ve submitted a quilt in the Utah State Fair Quilt Challenge. The challenge is to create a wall hanging using a specific fat quarter (18”x22”) of fabric. Each quilt must be the work of one person, from the original design right down to the binding. Working on my entries for the quilt challenge has pushed me to improve my skills. I love to do the patchwork piecing, but I’m usually happy to let an expert stitch the “sandwich” of top, batting and back together. I’m seldom pleased with my own attempts at binding quilts, especially when it comes to corners. This Winding Ways top was a practice quilt to help me get ready for last year’s competition. Sadly, my entry last year only earned me a white ribbon for third place. I have every hope that this year’s quilt will do much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment