Friday 17 May 2019

Christmas Diamond


Lady and the Tramp has always been my favorite movie. It’s funny, sweet, and charming. And offensive, at least by today’s standards. I wasn’t surprised to hear when a “live action” version of the cartoon classic appears on Disney+ this fall, it won’t feature Siamese cats. In the 1955 movie, Si and Am were two-faced sneaks with buck teeth, squinting eyes and broken English – pretty much the only way Asians were portrayed in the 50’s. Now I think of it, nearly every character in that movie was some sort of slur: the Italians who serve the dogs spaghetti and meatballs, the beaver with a serious speech impediment, the miserly Scottie and slow-drawling bloodhound next door, the Russian, German, British and Mexican dogs at the pound, even the Irish beat cop. I checked. Almost NONE of these characters will be in the new movie. I’ll watch Lady and the Tramp 2019 when it comes out. But I probably won’t recognize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment