Tuesday 13 March 2018

Garden Path


This year our quilt class is working on Jen Kingwell’s quilt, Green Tea and Sweet Beans. Like most of her designs, this is an impossibly ambitious project, with a frenetic, busy-looking end product. Two years ago we did Kingwell’s Gossip in the Garden https://mombowe.blogspot.com/2017/10/gossip-in-garden.html . We replaced several of the complex appliqued blocks with simpler foundation-pieced designs, and I think we were quite satisfied with the results. When introducing the pattern for today’s block, our instructor compared doing that with cutting corners in a marathon: she said both were “cheating.” I’ve had nearly three weeks to consider what she said, and I’ve decided I don’t care. Doing everything Ms. Kingwell’s way won’t be relaxing; not while I’m stitching the blocks together, and not later when I’m admiring the finished quilt. If doing things my own way is cheating, then you can call me a cheat. I'm fine with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment