Saturday 31 March 2018

Double Pinwheel

Since my own children were very small, our friends and neighbors would use me to frighten their children. They’d say, “If  you don’t take better care of your pet I’ll give it to someone who will.” Meaning me. I’m confident most of the time this threat worked. When it didn’t, my menagerie grew. I’ve been the recipient of rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, frogs, turtles, birds, tarantulas and iguanas whose owners had tired of them. I’ve only once received a pet because her owner passed on. Lass has been with us for about four months now. Her papers say she’s a Scottie, but she’s as fierce as a dragon. She loves long walks, car trips, naps stretched across the sofa back, and keeping the cat treed on the piano. Last week her previous owner’s grandson told me Lass is really his dog. So I guess I’m only her caregiver. I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment