Wednesday 10 July 2024

One More Key Lime Pie

 

We bought a hummingbird feeder weeks ago, and hung it outside my sewing room window. For some time, we saw no activity at all. The sugar-water level was receding, but so slowly it may have been evaporation. Last week while emptying waste paper baskets, I caught a flash of color from the corner of my eye. It was a male black-chinned hummingbird, darting back and forth at the feeder. I grabbed my phone for a picture, but was too slow. The next day, I noticed the cat watching a female broad-tailed hummingbird through the window. In the shadows, the bird looks grey, but when she darts into the light, she’s a stunning iridescent green. I managed to get a few blurry shots, but I’ll keep trying. In this heat, I like to clean and refill the feeder at least once a week. I use one part sugar to four parts water, no food coloring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment