Tuesday 29 September 2015

Ring Around the Rosie



The nursery rhymes I remember best are also songs. I sang them countless times to entertain and calm my restless babies. Among them are Hot Cross Buns, Rock-a-bye Baby, Jack and Jill, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and the Alphabet Song (yes, I’m aware these last three are actually the same tune). Many of these simple songs were the same ones I taught my children to play when they were old enough for lessons on the recorder, piano or violin. I played games like Ring Around the Rosie and London Bridge when I was very small. I taught these games to my own children as soon as the youngest was walking. It may be time to teach my grandchildren. This year the Block-of-the-Month classes at Quilts Etc. are learning about nursery rhymes as we make two dozen 10” five-patch blocks in red-and-white or 1930’s pastels. Today’s block is the first of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment