I have a confession: I despise Shel Silverstein’s book, The
Giving Tree. I know parents have been reading this to their children since I
was five. I know generations of kids have grown up loving it. Not me. The book
is about a tree who loves a boy. She gives him apples to munch, branches to
swing on, and shade to rest in. The book says the boy loves the tree, but he
seems to only love what she can give him. Eventually, the boy chops down the
tree for lumber, and she is nothing but a sad, lonely stump. It seems to me if
the boy REALLY loved the tree, he would have nurtured and protected her. His children
and grandchildren and great-grandchildren could have enjoyed the tree for many
years. This isn’t a cozy bedtime story. It’s a warning about dysfunctional,
toxic relationships. And it should be called “The Taking Boy.”

No comments:
Post a Comment