Saturday, 8 August 2026

Two Bird Houses

 

In June 2021, boat captain/scuba diver Jennifer Dowker, owner of Nautical North Family Adventures, was cleaning the windows of her glass-bottom boat in Michigan's Cheboygan River. As she worked, she spotted a small, green bottle on the riverbed. “I collect little bottles when I’m diving,” she says. “I have a double-bladed axe head I found last time I washed the windows.” Upon surfacing, Jennifer and her first mate, Rob Hemmer, carefully extracted a waterlogged note dated November 1926. It read: "Will the person who finds this bottle return this paper to George Morrow, Cheboygan, Michigan, and tell where it was found?” Jennifer took photos of her find and posted them on Facebook. Her post quickly received 113k shares, 70k likes and 6,000 comments. Better still, the post helped her find the daughter of the man who wrote the note. George died in 1995, but his daughter, 74-year-old Michele Primeau, was thrilled to recognize her dad’s handwriting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment