Wednesday 13 April 2022

Martha Washington

 

First Lieutenant Ralph Calef was a supply sergeant stationed at Camp Malacola, near Hicham Field in 1941. The morning of Sunday, December 7, Ralph was in charge of quarters. “I had a .45 pistol, but no shells,” Ralph said. “They didn’t trust us with ammunition.” So, when the sky began to fill with Japanese fighter planes, Ralph ran to his apartment and grabbed his bow and twelve hunting arrows. “I watched the first Japanese plane come in so low its wheels almost touched the trees,” he said. “I waited for the second plane and let my arrow fly right into his windshield. The plane crashed down the street. When I got there, it was hard to tell if it was the one I shot, because the cockpit plexiglass was smashed out.” So, maybe one of the zeros attacking Pearl Harbor was shot down with a bow and arrow, or maybe not. Either way, it's a pretty good story.


No comments:

Post a Comment