Thursday 6 June 2024

Watermelon Slice


Can you remember anything you accomplished in fifth grade? All I can remember was hoping I could get through the school year without being ridiculed for my funny accent, my funny clothes, or for how short I was. I was far too focused on my own misery to notice others around me and wonder if I could be any help to them. Luckily for the students at Thomas Ultican Elementary School in Blue Springs, Missouri, 11-year-old Daken Kramer was a very different sort of fifth-grader. Daken learned several of his class mates owed money for school lunch. He created and posted a video to encourage friends, family and his community to donate money to alleviate the debt. His original goal was to raise $3,500. Donations poured in from individuals and businesses. Within a month, he’d raised $4,000. This fall, Daken will attend middle school. Paying off everyone’s meal debt was a nice good-bye gift for his elementary school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment