Saturday 23 February 2019

Tomato Pincushion


For more than half of the last year there were two healthy plants in my kitchen, happily producing heirloom cherry tomatoes. A few weeks back they finally called it quits so I tossed them, disinfected their little hydroponic garden, and replanted. The seedlings are about two inches tall now, but they’re growing fast. It won’t be long before I’m picking my own tomatoes again. I’ve read that a few centuries ago people believed placing a ripe tomato on the mantel of a new home could ward off evil spirits and guarantee prosperity. It’s possible a superstition like that could explain why so many pin cushions look just like ripe tomatoes. Personally, I’m inclined to look at these little seedlings as a very good omen. Before you know it they’ll save me from having to buy cardboard-flavored store-bought fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment