Tuesday 8 March 2011

Cabin Fever

The Log Cabin is one of my favorite quilt block patterns. It’s such a grateful block; easy to construct but very appealing. It can be made with basic piecing techniques or with paper foundations. It has no diagonals and no Y-seams. And yet there are an infinite number of setting variations. It’s a wonderful way to use up long, skinny fabric scraps. One of the first quilts I finished was a Log Cabin quilt. It was done in scrappy reds, greens and creams with little black appliqued tear drop shapes that were meant to look like watermelon seeds. I’d originally intended to use it as a picnic quilt. But after I sewed on all those little melon seeds by hand, I just couldn’t bring myself to lay the quilt out on the grass and spill mustard on it. I’ll probably do it someday. Maybe. Just not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment