Friday 11 March 2011

Kaleidoscope

This is my first attempt at a Kaleidoscope block. Actually, it’s my first nine attempts sewn together to make one composite. As with most practice blocks, I used tiny scraps left over from several other projects. That way if I completely mess up (it happens a lot, let me tell you) it doesn’t hurt much to toss the results in the trash where no one can see them. Kaleidoscope blocks look easier than they are. The angle involved comes out to be 67.5 degrees. And the piece sizes are often in 16ths or 32nds of an inch. It’s tricky to measure if your ruler is marked out in eighths. Don’t try this block at home, at least not without a template. Even with a one, it took me several hours to construct. I love the results, though. I’m eager to try it again with bolder colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment