Saturday 19 March 2011

Old Maid's Puzzle

When I was young we used to call unpopped popcorn kernels “Old Maids.” I’ve also heard them called “Widows.” Two of my favorite terms are “Pooped Corn” and “Flopcorn.” I believe they’re caused by a lack of moisture inside the kernel. It’s unwise to chew these hard, brown pellets. I can cite first hand experience here, because I once cracked a molar doing exactly that. I love popcorn, but I’ve had a tough time making it in England. Electric poppers are pretty rare here. Even the local cinemas have their popcorn shipped in pre-popped. When we finally found and bought a popper, we discovered it was more efficient at throwing kernels than heating them. Entertaining, but hardly what we had in mind. By the way, if you do decide to chew unpopped corn, never do it on a Sunday night. That’s the hardest time of the week to find an emergency dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment