Tuesday 15 March 2011

Devil's Claws

I found the pattern for Devil's Claws in a set of blocks with biblical themes. Some of the other blocks in the set were familiar: Storm at Sea, Star of Bethlehem, Cross and Crown, and Palm Leaves. Others were totally new to me, like Solomon’s Puzzle, David and Goliath, and Joseph’s Coat. All the names evoke stories from the Old or New Testament. I tucked the other patterns away. I’ll probably use more of them in the coming months. This particular block gives the illusion of five interlocking stars. But actually it’s five ordinary squares, four squares-within-a-square, and eight tiny flying geese. While I was stitching it, I had a strong sense of deja vu. It wasn’t until I was nearly finished that I realized I’d made a full Christmas quilt a few years ago that was very similar to this, called Magic Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment