Wednesday 28 September 2016

Two Nursery Rhyme Quilts

For the past year the stitchers at Quilts Etc. in Sandy have been learning about the origins of popular nursery rhymes. If you’ve been following along you won’t be surprised to hear many are based on rather dark events in British history. What I did find surprising is that many of us – though I would have said we have similar genetic and cultural backgrounds – learned quite different versions of these nursery rhymes when we were young. I guess it’s like a game of Gossip: if Grandma never learned the second verse or if she got a few of the words mixed up, that’s the way she’ll teach it to her grandkids. The time I should have used designing and assembling two different nursery rhyme tops was spent on Comic Con, the State Fair and the Greek Festival. With only a few days to spare, I designed ONE quilt, then made it twice.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment