Saturday 3 August 2019

Four Grandmother's Fans


When I’ve a problem without a solution, I often set it on the “back burner.” Sometimes the answer will present itself at the least expected time and place. I’m out of spaces to stuff my “Aunt Gracie” 1930’s fabric. Should I stop buying so many vintage prints? Probably. Should I give the ones I don’t love to a thrift shop? Definitely. Should I thin out the stash by making a large, scrappy quilt? Absolutely. But so many patterns use more background solids than scraps: I’d have to buy lots more new fabric to use a little of the old. Then last week, as I was tuning the orchestra before a performance of Beauty and the Beast, someone walked to their seat in the audience carrying a lovely Grandmother’s Fan quilt. It used hundreds of retro 30’s prints for the blades of the fans. But the background fabric was from prints with a lower color value: shirting. I already own LOTS of shirting. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment