Tuesday 6 August 2019

Nine Grandmother's Fans


The first time I saw them, I couldn’t stop staring. They were so WEIRD. We were grabbing movie treats at the Sheffield cinema, and the fellow queued in front of us was wearing shoes with separate cubbies for each of his toes. Vibram has been making their FiveFinger shoes since 2005, and there are several competitors with similar products for hikers, walkers and runners. I’m told they provide greater dexterity and a more natural stride. I find myself wondering if Vibram got the idea from the prop shoes Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, and Dominic Monaghan wore in 2001’s Fellowship of the Ring to look like they had big hairy Hobbit feet. August 6 is Wiggle Your Toes Day, a holiday that appeared on the scene in the early 2000’s, just like the Lord of the Rings movies and shoes with toe pockets. I plan to celebrate by going barefoot, just like I do nearly every other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment