Friday 3 September 2021

Fool's Square

 

I’ve never made a Tumbling Blocks quilt, but I understand a bit about their construction. First, it requires a rhombus template (four equal sides). Two opposing angles must be 60 degrees, and the other two are 120 degrees. Second, before you begin, the scraps to be used must be separated into three piles: darks, lights and mediums. Careful placement of these three values is what makes the blocks “tumble.” Third – and this is the chief reason why I’m not likely to ever make one – Tumbling Blocks quilts are generally pieced and quilted by hand. In Plymouth, Vermont, in the childhood home of our 30th president, there is a Tumbling Block quilt pieced from hundreds of diamond-shaped scraps of plaids, stripes and floral prints of all colors; a quilt made by Calvin Coolidge WHEN HE WAS TEN YEARS OLD. If I ever begin thinking too much of myself, you have my permission to remind me of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment