Friday 24 September 2021

Gold/Red Sawtooth Star

 

In Sevenoaks, Kent, there’s a small establishment called Otto’s Coffee Shop and Kitchen. It’s near the top of High Street, between St. Nicholas Church and Waitrose supermarket. Otto’s caught my attention when they recently made the decision to only serve coffee to customers who bring their own cups. I’m suddenly reminded me of when I was in my teens, working at Burger King. A great deal of backroom space was devoted to storing new disposable cups, lids, straws, stirrers, etc. And the used ones took up the lion’s share of space in the trash as well. My manager explained that what goes IN the cup always costs a lot less than the cup itself. So, by insisting customers bring their own cups, Otto’s is freeing up a ton of shelf space and seriously reducing their rubbish load and their overhead. The best part? They can tell customers they’re doing it strictly for the environment. Who’d complain about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment