Saturday 10 August 2024

Squash Blossom

 

My two oldest kids were working at the Draper McDonald’s. At the time, Mickey D's stood between a dairy, a cornfield, and a pig farm. My two youngest kids were out bowling with friends. I was uncharacteristically home alone, filling the time between washing up after lunch and starting dinner by making a batch of plum jam. I’d opened the kitchen door for a moment, and noticed the sunny day had grown suddenly dark. The weather looked worse to the north, where the sky was a sickly green color. It reminded me of something I’d read: that water droplets in storm clouds can absorb red light and radiate green. Later we heard on the news an F2 tornado - there have only been two in this county in my lifetime – had cut a swath through downtown Salt Lake, shredding roofs, smashing windows and pulling up trees as it went. Tomorrow it will have been a quarter of a century.


No comments:

Post a Comment