Friday 1 April 2011

Fool's Square

In 1995 April first fell on a Saturday. My youngest son was eleven that year, and he had an elegant idea for an April Fools joke. He’d tie down the kitchen spray nozzle handle with a rubber band. He’d direct the nozzle forward so the next person to turn on the faucet would get a wet surprise. Compared to his other ideas, this one was pretty harmless. His only problem was that he forgot to do it on April Fool’s Day. My son is not the kind of person who can keep a good practical joke under wraps for a year. And so it was that Sunday morning, April 2nd, I did my hair and makeup and put on my Sunday best. Then as we were about to leave for church I grabbed a Tyolenol and went to the sink for a glass of water. And promptly got drenched. Happy April Fool’s Day!

2 comments:

  1. Josh remembers this day as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised. I don't often bother to put on makeup and I certainly don't like to do it twice in the same morning. The neighbors three doors down could probably hear the noise I made about it.

    ReplyDelete