Thursday 28 April 2011

Friendship Chain


When we contemplated moving to England, I thought I had an idea of what our lives would be like. I’d find swimming and violin lessons for Heather. I’d join a theatre group or handbell choir. I'd pick up quilting supplies at a charming little shop on the edge of town. Things haven’t turned out the way I’d imagined. Violin teachers are very scarce. The only pool in town is expensive and difficult. English handbell choirs are practically extinct in England. Theatre groups do perform here, but they don’t rehearse in town. That charming quilt shop closed its doors weeks before we arrived. But there have been pleasant surprises. The biggest one is our church quilting group. We meet monthly to sew and chat. I’ve made several good friends among these amazing women, and I’ve learned so much from them. When we do move back to the States, I’ll miss them all very much.

2 comments:

  1. You'll have to start your own quilting group. I am sure there are lots of people in this valley that would love to belong to a group like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These ladies are a wonderful resource. April 20 I mentioned I'd been searching for a pattern for a Union Jack wall hanging that uses a jelly roll. Yesterday one of the women in our group let me borrow hers - the very thing I've been trying to find. Thank you, Marie! I can't use it until I've finished the state fair and wedding quilts, but I can hardly wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete