Saturday 2 April 2011

Interlocking Chain

Today’s block is comprised of eight half-square triangles and 41 ordinary little squares of fabric, arranged so they give the impression of two linked rings. You’re going to have to use your imagination here, but if I were to make a dozen of these blocks and set them together, you’d see four rows of blue chains running side to side and three columns of brown chains going up and down. A moment or two later you’d start to notice the tan diagonal lines running behind the mesh of chains. It might take you a while to go back to seeing squares and triangles again. I showed my daughter today’s block and she said, “It’s just like A Christmas Carol.” It took me a minute or two, but I finally saw what she meant. Chains in the quilt block. Chains on Marley’s ghost. Everything really is connected after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment