Tuesday 26 April 2011

Tulips

John and I saw first saw Yorkshire March 17, 2009. This place is beautiful all year long, but in spring it really shines. Spring starts early here with snowdrops and crocuses in late February. By the time the crocuses fade there are daffodils everywhere. Last autumn I planted 50 daffodil bulbs; a variety pack that promised to bloom pink and white. I’ve been trying to achieve pink and white daffodils for thirty years, and this year I’ve actually done it. I suspect it has something to do with the acidic soil. Where the soil is basic, flowers are more likely to come out in warmer colors. Now the daffodils have been replaced by tulips, cherry blossoms and rhododendrons. We bought 20 black tulip bulbs in Amsterdam last week, and planted them as soon as we got home. If only one of them survives, it will have been worth the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment