Tuesday 15 February 2011

Rocky Mountain Chain

Our home town has an elevation of 4525 feet. We live at roughly 300 feet now. The change in altitude has had a deep impact on our lives. The air at sea level is richer here. Heather was able to dispense with oxygen tanks when we moved, and it’s a burden to go back to them when we return for a visit. Cooking is a whole new ball game when you change altitudes. Water boils at a higher temperature here, because the air pressure is higher. It’s easier to accidentally overcook things. I learned to bake in the Rockies. I had to adjust my recipes to make them work here because my first cakes, cookies and breads all turned out flat. Today’s block seemed daunting at first. But like the challenges in my new kitchen, I took it head on. It turned out to be easier than I’d expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment