Thursday 17 February 2011

Waring Square

Like most of this month’s blocks, Waring Square was designed by Marti Michell. I’ve puzzled over why she gave it this name. Waring Square is an eatery at Penn State where you can buy a fresh-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookie. But Marti’s from Georgia, so this isn’t a likely source of the name. Then there’s Fred Waring, “The Man Who Taught America to Sing.” If you’re old enough you’d remember his renditions of “Dancing in the Dark” or “White Christmas.” Since two other blocks in this series have musical ties, I thought this idea had merit. My third guess was the Waring Blender. It was the first electric blender on the market, and it’s still in production today. I was surprised to find Fred Waring gave his name and financial backing to this product in the 1930's. You can learn almost anything from Google. Except, apparently, the one thing you were looking for.

2 comments:

  1. I was under the impression that the blender was invented by Fred Waring. In addition to his chorus, he was published his arrangements of music. I remember singing from those in high school. The phonic spelling of how he wanted the words sung was written under the printed words in italics. Wonder if any of those are still available. If I remember right many of them were patriotic songs. I remember his signature goatee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure when he promoted it, he made it sound like his own invention. The actual inventor approached Waring for a loan to develop the appliance which he'd already patented. Waring gave it the name Waring Blendor. I guess the "O" made it sound more important.

    ReplyDelete