Saturday 19 February 2011

Depression Block

One of the things I like to do with my time is family search indexing. I transcribe old handwritten documents like draft registrations and death certificates so people can find their ancestors online. I’ve only been doing it since November, and I usually spend less than an hour a day. Already I’ve submitted more than 5,000 names, mostly from the 1930 US census. I’m enjoying myself and I’m learning a lot. I find that eighty years ago more Americans lived on farms. Many had immigrant parents or grandparents. Nearly every home had a radio. There were a lot of widows but very few divorcees. It surprised me to see how many people took in lodgers to make ends meet. It was the beginning of the Great Depression, coupled with a devastating drought. So I guess I shouldn’t have been so surprised. Today’s Depression Block is done in 1930's reproduction fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment