Monday 14 February 2011

Valentine's Day

I love romantic comedies, especially the ones masquerading as family movies: Lady and the Tramp, Wall-E, Splash, Princess Bride and Enchanted. Some of my favorite rom/coms happen at Christmas, like The Holiday and Serendipity. Several have romantic settings: French Kiss, Fools Rush In, After the Sunset, and Only You. Some involve people who have died or are in a coma: Defending Your Life, Just Like Heaven, While You Were Sleeping, Truly Madly Deeply, Heart and Souls, Return to Me and Ghost Town. Some are about time travel, like Somewhere in Time, Groundhog Day or Kate and Leopold. A few have pen pals, like You’ve Got Mail, Stranger Than Fiction, Sleepless in Seattle, and The Lake House. And some I just watch because they have Hugh Grant: Sense and Sensibility, Notting Hill, Music and Lyrics, Two Weeks Notice, and About a Boy. Do you have a favorite romantic comedy? I’d love to hear about it.

3 comments:

  1. You are too young. You don't have An Affair to Remember or either of the Sabrina movies. Maybe they are not romantic comedies-just romantic movies. I.Q is also missing. I love your list. We just need to expand it. How about the old Doris Day movies. She did at least two with Gordon MacRae and how could you forget Annie Get Your Gun with Howard Keel. Then there is also Esher Williams diving and swimming with Van Johnson, Ricardo Montalban, and Fernando Lamas. I think I am way before your time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Esther Williams movie is Neptune's Daughter. It has two versions of Baby, It's Cold Outside; one with Williams and Ricardo Montalban, and another with Red Skelton pretending to be Ricardo Montalban. I like the 90's Sabrina better than the 50's version. I almost never feel that way about a remake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 90's Sabrina too because of Harrison Ford :)
    I.Q. is also amazing!
    My favorite romantic comedy though is "While you were sleeping" which I know you put on your list but that movie is just great!

    ReplyDelete